Recognise the warning signs of online investment fraud
You may see adverts on social media and in the traditional press for financial products and services that are not regulated, for example crypto-assets.
We would encourage consumers to do the necessary research to ensure they know who they are dealing with before making any decisions.
A smart investor:
- Understands the risks that are associated with initial coin offerings and crypto-assets in general and is careful in deciding whether to invest in these products
- Does not forget about the importance of due diligence when considering investments in online and digital environments
- Recognises the red flag warning signs of online investment fraud
- Never invests based solely on a celebrity endorsement
- Understands the methods in which legitimate firms receive money for investments
Further information to support consumers is available on the Consumer Awareness section of our website.